LECTURER (WRITING & EDITING)
firstname.lastname@example.org Room 229
BJourn (Rhodes), MA (Rhodes)
Rod teaches the JMS 4 Writing and Editing course, and the JMS 3 courses on Journalism, Democracy and Development, and Critical Media Production.
His projects include: Audiokids (a project that records audiobook versions of South African children's books in three languages), Ukufunda (a literacy/education page in Grocott's Mail).
He serves on: the RMR Advisory Board, the Faculty of Humanities, the RU Teaching and Learning Committee, the RU Community Engagement Committee, the Grahamstown Friends of the Library Committee.
Research foci: Alternative journalisms (public/civic, development, citizen,
radical) and subaltern public spheres, the relationship between South African media and political processes, issues in journalism education.
Rod submitted his thesis in fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Masters of Arts at Rhodes University earlier this year: "Deliberating the Dialogues: a critical examination of the nature and purpose of a Daily Dispatch public journalism project." The thesis critically examines a series of town-hall-like meetings, the Community Dialogues, hosted by the Daily Dispatch in the townships and suburbs of East London in 2009. The thesis found that apart from their undoubted success in generating a more comprehensive and representative news agenda for the newspaper, the Dialogues sometimes fell short of Habermas's proceduralist-discursive notion of the 'deliberating public', which sees citizens share a commitment to engage in common deliberation and public problem solving.
Accredited Journal Articles:
- "Paper bridges: a critical examination of the Daily Dispatch's Community Dialogues." Ecquid Novi. Vol. 32, No. 1. (Forthcoming)
Non Accredited Journal Articles:
- 2010 "A tale of two investigations." Rhodes Journalism Review. Number 30.
- 2010 "Fit for purpose - educating journalism students for democracy and development." Rhodes Journalism Review. Number 30.
- 2009 "Hollywood on Safari". Journal of African Media Studies. Vol 1. Number 3.
- 2009 "A civic engagement." Rhodes Journalism Review. Number 29.
- 2010 "Notes on a collaborative curriculum." Presentation to the Rhodes University Centre for Higher Education Research Teaching and Learning (CHERTL) Curriculum Colloquium on November 18 2010, Grahamstown.
- 2010 "Broken links: 'Democratic deficit' and the practice of investigative journalism & public journalism in SA." Paper presented to the annual conference of the Southern African Communication Association (Sacomm) on 28 September 2010 at the University of Johannesburg.
- 2010 "Paper bridges: a critical examination of the Daily Dispatch's Community Dialogues." Paper presented to the annual conference of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication on 5 August in Denver, Colorado.
- 2010 "Finding common ground: student learning and identity formation on a praxis-based 'alternative journalism' course." Paper presented to the World Journalism Educators' Conference, Rhodes University, 4 July 2010.
- 2009 "Fit for purpose - educating journalism students for democracy and development." Paper presented to the Conference of African Journalism Educators, Wits University, Sept 2009.
- 2008 "Teaching and learning 'experientially' at Grocott's Mail: Tension, discomfort and unease (and maybe even some pain & suffering)." Presentation to the Meeting on Experiential Learning in Journalism Education, Rhodes University, 7 August.
- 2010 "Paper bridges: exploring the democratic potential of the Daily Dispatch's Community Dialogues." Paper presented to the Faculty of Humanities, Rhodes University.
- 2008 "Public Journalism and coverage of the 2009 elections." Two presentations to the staff of the Daily Dispatch newspaper, 3 December.
- 2008 "Comparing two Critical Media Production courses: Implications for the JMS curriculum." Staff seminar paper, School of Journalism and Media Studies.
Last Modified: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 14:01:48 SAST