The overall objectives of the SARChI Chair in Mathematics Education at Rhodes University are fivefold:
1. To research how visualization processes can be harnessed and used in mathematics settings in Southern Africa;
2. To engage in empirical research to understand how visualization processes can be used as pedagogical tools or strategies in the basic and higher education sectors;
3. To engage in empirical research to understand how visualization processes can be used as an effective learning tool in education settings;
4. To build Masters and PhD research capacity in mathematics education in Southern Africa;
5. To build staffing capacity in the Chair project consistent with the transformation imperatives of South Africa.
These will be achieved by engaging in an extensive research programme across Southern Africa including South Africa, Namibia and Zambia. The empirical research approach is typically classroom-bases and the individual studies are mostly ethnographic case studies contributing to a collective research agenda that hopefully speaks to improving classroom practice and mathematical understanding.
Last Modified: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 14:05:45 SAST