An analysis of visual representations of linear algebraic expressions constructed by selected Grade 9 learners: a case study in an after-school mathematics club.
This study has the following aims:
- to describe learners' visual representations of algebra;
- to develop a taxonomy with which to describe these representations and the understanding they represent;
- to analyse whether and to what extent learners' visual representations developed over the period of study.
- to loosely determine the extent to which development in learners' visual representations indicated a development in their understanding (that is, their objectification) of the underlying mathematical relationships with which they were working.
- How can participants' visual representations of algebra be classified in a way that preserves the understanding behind the representations?
- In what ways did these representations develop over the course of the club?
Last Modified: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 15:01:35 SAST