Publications & Research
Profile on ResearchGate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mark_De_Vos/)
All links provided are to pre-publication author versions for which the author has copyright; these are provided as a service to the public who have funded the research via public taxes; if you wish to cite a paper, please cite the final published articles as they appear in the respective journals, books, etc.
Papers and book chapters
- Riedel, K. and De Vos, M. 2017. "Swahili coordinated infinitives and non-canonical case marking". Journal of African Languages and Linguistics 38(2): pp265--288.
- Tracy Probert and Mark de Vos. 2016 Word recognition strategies amongst isiXhosa/English bilingual learners: The interaction of orthography and language of learning and teaching Reading & Writing; Vol 7, No 1 (2016). doi: 10.4102/rw.v7i1.84
- De Vos, M. 2015. Outlining the parameters for a linguistic nativist position. SPIL PLUS 48. pp17--40 (Available online at http://spilplus.journals.ac.za/pub/article/view/689)
Diemer, M, and Van der Merwe, K. and De Vos, M. (2015). The development of phonological awareness literacy measures for isiXhosa. Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies 33(3):325--341.
- Lauriks, S., Siebörger, I. and De Vos, M. `"Ha! Relationships? I only shout at them!” Strategic management of discordant rapport in an African small business context.' Journal of Politeness Research 2015; 11(1): 7–39.
- De Vos, M., Van der Merwe, K. and Van der Mescht, C. (2014) "A Research Programme for Reading in African Languages to underpin CAPS." Journal for Language Teaching. 48(2) pp143--171 (De Vos, Van der Merwe, Van der Mescht 2015. CAPS article)
De Vos, M. (2014) "The Spec-Head vs Head-Spec asymmetry: post-syntactic linearization and the embedded-topicalization paradox". Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics 43 pp81--117. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5774/43-0-146 (Available from the SPIL website: http://spil.journals.ac.za/pub/article/view/146/181).
- De Vos, M. (2014) "Head movement is an artefact of optimal solutions to linearisation paradoxes". SPIL Plus (44):23--48. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5842/44-0-640).
- De Vos, M. (2014) "The evolutionary origins of syntax: optimization of the mental lexicon yields syntax for free". Lingua (150): 25--44. (DOI: DOI: 10.1016/j.lingua.2014.07.005) (Free download from Lingua until 12 October 2014: http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1PaLy5YrUT0Qw)
- De Vos, M. (2014). "Atomic Homogeneity: a semantic strategy for the determination of plurality in the complex noun phrases of South African English". SALALS 32(1) pp1--19. (DOI: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.2989/16073614.2014.925209 If you cannot access a copy contact me and I will give you a free download link from the publishers)
- De Vos, M. 2013. Homogeneity in subject-verb concord in South African English. Language Matters 44(1):pp58-77. (DOI: 10.1080/10228195.2012.744081 If you cannot access a copy contact me and I will give you a free download link from the publishers)
- De Vos, M. "Afrikaans Mixed Adposition Orders as a PF-Linearization Effect" in Biberauer, T. and Sheehan, M (Eds). Theoretical Approaches to Disharmonic Word Orders. Oxford University Press: Oxford. pp333--358. (Based on a conference presentation at the Theoretical Approaches to Disharmonic Word Orders Conference, Newcastle University, May 30th-June 1st 2009. [Draft version of the paper pre-review De Vos 2009 Afrikaans Adpositions] )
- De Vos, M. & Mitchley, H. 2012. Subject marking and preverbal coordination in Sesotho: A perspective from Optimality Theory. Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies 30 pp155-170. (DOI: DOI: 10.2989/16073614.2012.737591 If you cannot access a copy contact me and I will give you a free download link from the publishers)
- De Vos, M. 2012 Heads and specifiers: on spec-head word orders in English. In Zwart, J-W (Ed), Groninger Arbeiten zur germanistischen Linguistik, pp 53--78.
- De Vos, M. and Belluigi, D. 2011 Formative assessment as mediation Formative assessment as mediation . Perspectives in Education, 29(2), pp39--47.
- De Vos M. 2009. Comparing Afrikaans morpho-syntactic variation in a South African underdeveloped context. Journal of Macrolinguistics 3 pp 25--45. [Version before reviewers' comments DeVos 2009- comparing Afr Variation] Originally presented as The impact of economic development on Rural Afrikaans Dialects in Kai !Garib at KCTOS 2008 (Knowledge, Creativity and Transformations of Societies). 6--9 December, Vienna, Austria.
- De Vos, M. 2009. An argument for VP coordination: Scene-setting coordination and weak islands. Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies 27(1): 1--23.[Abstract DeVos 2009 VP coordination]
- De Vos, M. 2008. Deriving Narrow Syntax through constraints on information structure: a parallel between linguistic models of displacement and database theory. Lingua 118 (2008) 1864–1899. [Accepted Authors Manuscript version Devos-Vicente-wccfl proceedings cornr--prefinal.pdf ] [DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lingua.2008.05.002].
- De Vos, M. 2007. Towards a definition of SUBJECT in binding domains and subject-oriented anaphora. Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics, 37, pp23--65. [Pre-editorial version De Vos 2007 SPIL]
- De Vos, M. 2007. And as an aspectual connective in the event structure of pseudo-coordinative constructions. In Connectives as Discourse Landmarks, Celle, Agnes and Ruth Huart (eds.), 49--70. Based on the talk, Connectives in verbal reduplication, pseudo coordination and the aspectual system, presented at the International Conference on English Linguistics in Paris, France (26--28 May 2005). [Draft pre-editorial De Vos 2007 Connectives Pre-Editorial].
2006 and before
- De Vos, M. Quirky verb-second in Afrikaans: complex predicates and head movement. In Hartmann, J.M. and Molnarfi, L. (2006) Comparative Studies in Germanic Syntax: From A(frikaans) to Z(urich German), pp89--114. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.Presented at the Comparative Germanic Syntax Workshop 20 in Tilburg, The Netherlands (9--11 June 2005). [Draft pre-editorial De Vos 2006 CGSW Draft].
- De Vos, M. Notes on Noun Morphology and Clefting Constructions in Kotoko. In Schmidt, B., Odden, D. & Holmberg, A. 2002. Some aspects of the grammar of Zina Kotoko, Lincom, pp58--71.
- De Vos, M. Pseudo co-ordination is not subordination. In Cornips, L. & Doetjes, J. (Eds). 2004. Linguistics in the Netherlands 2004, John Benjamins, Amsterdam,pp181--192.
- De Vos, M. 2008. Review of: Roland Hinterhölzl,Scrambling, remnant movement, and restructuring in West Germanic. Journal of Linguistics, 44, pp243-247.
- De Vos, M. 2007. Events: A Study in the Semantics of Lexical Aspect, Rothstein Susan. In Lingua (117) 1490--1496.
- De Vos, M. SUBJECTHOOD AND PHRASE STRUCTURE: evidence from long-distance anaphora. (2006) Proceedings of SICOL 2006, pp219--228. Presented at SICOL 2006 Seoul, 24-26 July 2006. (A preliminary version of this paper was also presented at the general meeting of the Linguistics Society of Southern Africa (LSSA/SAALA) at University of Kwa-Zulu Natal (5--7 July 2006).
- De Vos, M. and Vicente, L. Coordination under RNR (CoRNR): at the intersection of Syntax and PF pp97-104. in Proceedings of the 24th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics. John Alderete, Chung-hye Han, and Alexei Kochetov (Eds). Cascadilla Proceedings Project, Somerville, MA, USA.[ De Vos and Vicente CoRNR, Presented at the West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL) 24, 18-20 March 2005. Simon Fraser University, Vancouver.
- De Vos, M. Past Participles in Afrikaans Dialects and Dutch. In Harding, G. & Tsujimura, M. (Eds), 2003, Proceedings of the 22nd West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, pp519-532, Cascadilla Press, Somerville, MA.
- De Vos, M. Dutch and Afrikaans inseparable prefixes. In Markopoulos, T., Salamoura, A., Skoufaki, S., & Hall, D. (Eds), 2003 Proceedings of the First Postgraduate Conference on Language Research. pp105-111, Cambridge, UK.
- De Vos, M. Verbal compounding and complex initials. In Austin, D., Chondrogianni, V., Daskalaki, E., Katsos, N., Mavrogiorgos, M., Newton, G., Orfanidou, E., Reeve, M.J. & Srioutai, J. (Eds). Proceedings of the Second Postgraduate Conference on Language Research 2004, Cambridge UK.
- Blaho, S., Vicente, L. & De Vos, M. (Eds).Proceedings of Console XII. 2004. http://www.sole.leidenuniv.nl.
- Arsenijevic, B., Elouazizi, N., Salzman, M. & Vos, M. (Eds). 2004. Leiden working papers in linguistics. http://www.ulcl.leidenuniv.nl/index.php3?m=7&c=68
- Van Koppen, M., Sio, J. & De Vos, M. (Eds). 2003. Proceedings of Console XI. http://www.sole.leidenuniv.nl.
- Van Koppen, M., Sio, J. & De Vos, M. (Eds). 2002. Proceedings of Console X. http://www.sole.leidenuniv.nl.
Dissertations and books
- De Vos, M. The syntax of pseudo-coordination in English and Afrikaans. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Leiden Centre for Linguistics. Published by Igitur Publishing, Utrecht The Netherlands.[ De Vos 2005 Dissertation Complete Text] [Link to off site download page].
- De Vos, M. 2001. Afrikaans verb clusters: A functional-head analysis. Master's thesis, University of Tromsø, Norway.
- De Vos, M. 2008. Progress Report: Comparing syntactic variation in a South African underdeveloped context.Presented at the Workshop European Dialect Syntax III. Venice 18-21 September 2008.
This category is for research conducted in group research projects and for to which I did not contribute a substantial amount of work.
- V. de Klerk, R. Adendorff, M. de Vos, S. Hunt, T. Niesler, S.R. Simango and L. Todd. (2006) Educated mother-tongue South African English: a corpus approach. Language Matters 37(2) pp. 206 --226
- V. de Klerk, R. Adendorff, M. de Vos, S. Hunt, T. Niesler, S.R. Simango and L. Todd.(2006) Educated mother-tongue South African English: a corpus approach ICAME Conference, Helsinki, Finland, May 2006. (Presented by Prof. V. de Klerk).
Current drafts, recent unpublished research and some selected presentations not mentioned elsewhere
- De Vos, M. 2012. Normalization Theory and Evolution of Language. Presentation at University of the North West, 24 August 2012.
- De Vos, M. 2009. Expletives on the interface: Linearization and PF output conditions. Presentation at the Leiden University Wednesday Syntax Meeting 24 June 2009. [Draft De Vos 2009 Expletives on the Interface]
- De Vos, M. 2009. Adpositions at the interface. Presentation at the Midweek Utrecht Syntax Talks (MUST) series.17 June 2009.
- De Vos, M. 2008. The configurational nature of EPP. Presentation at the LSSA Stellenbosch 17--19 January 2008.
- De Vos, M. 2007. Reconceptualizing Afrikaans variation. Presented at LSSA Potchefstroom, 4-6 July.
- De Vos, M. Pseudo coordinative predicates, agreement and Afrikaans. Presented at Syntax Colloquium of the Linguistics Department at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. 11 November 2004, Amherst MA.
Last Modified :Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:04:09 SAST