Senior Research Associate
Email: w[d?t] bennett [æt] ucalgary [d?t] ca
I am an Assistant Professor in the Linguistics section of the School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures at the University of Calgary, Canada, and a Senior Research Associate of the Department of English Language and Linguistics at Rhodes University.
My research interests are mostly on the sound-related side of the field: how phonetics, phonology & morphology (and sometimes syntax) interact. My work also focuses on under-represented/minority languages (particularly African languages), and I'm also very interested in endangered language description & documentation.
My most recent work focuses mostly on long-distance consonant interactions, including dissimilation and consonant harmony; and on describing & documenting Defaka & Nkoroo, two endangered Ijoid languages spoken in the Niger Delta.
Selected recent publications
- 2015: The Phonology of Consonants: Harmony, Dissimilation and Correspondence. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2014: Assimilation, Dissimilation, and Surface Correspondence in Sundanese. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, DOI 10.1007/s11049-014-9268-2.
- 2014: Some differences between clicks and labio-velars. South African Journal of African Languages 34(2):115-126.
- 2014: Agreement, Dependencies, and Surface Correspondence in Obolo and beyond. Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics Plus 44:149-171.
- 2013: Dissimilation, Consonant Harmony, and Surface Correspondence. PhD dissertation, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
- 2012: Dissimilation By Correspondence in Sundanese. In Proceedings of the 30th West Coast Conference in Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 30).
- 2012: Two subject asymmetries in Defaka focus constructions. In Proceedings of the 29th West Coast Conference in Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 29). [With Akin Akinlabi & Bruce Connell]
- 2012: Defaka and Ijo: A reassessment of the Ijoid relationship. In Proceedings of the 6th World Congress of African Linguistics, Cologne 2009. [With Bruce Connell and others]
Last Modified: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 22:50:01 SAST