At approximately 4am today, 1 October 2016, a fire was started at a basement entrance on the south wall of the main administration building, using a flammable substance. The fire was noticed and extinguished relatively quickly. Damage caused to electrical and communication lines has resulted in these services not being available in that area of the building.
The SAPS and the Fire Department were at the scene, and a case of arson has been opened.
The University condemns all forms of violence, arson and the destruction of property, and will cooperate with investigators to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Issued by Communications and Advancement DivisionSource: Communications
Please help us to raise funds so that we can give all our students a chance to access online teaching and learning. Covid-19 has disrupted our students' education. Don't let the digital divide put their future at risk. Visit www.ru.ac.za/rucoronavirusgateway to donate