RU Saving the Rhino (14-18 May 2012)
Organised by the SRC Environmental Councillor and student environmental groups at Rhodes University, Rhino Week at Rhodes University features informative events and action drawing attention to what can and is being done to save our rhinos from extinction.
- All Week (14-18 May 2012): Rhino Action Stations - Day Kaif (outside RU Library) and front of Drostdy Arch -
drawing attention to what can and is being done to save our rhinos. Sign the petition. Buy black ribbons, T-shirts, stickers (to raise funds for rhinos recovering from poaching), and get raffle tickets to win a game drive at Kariega Game Reserve, home of the courageous Thandi.
- Tuesday 15 May: All welcome.
Venue: RU Eden Grove Blue, Lucas Avenue
Time: 18:30 (refreshments will be served beforehand)
Event: Thandi's Incredible Recovery - update by Wildlife Veterinarian, Dr William Fowlds
- Wednesday 16 May: All welcome.
Venue: RU Eden Grove Red, Lucas Avenue
Time: 17:30 for 18:00 (refreshments will be served beforehand)
Event: Panel discussion on Strategies for Preventing Rhino Poaching. Panel members include:
- Ma Yue (RU Chinese Language studies): international perspective
- John O’Brien (Shamwari): conservation / zoology perspective
- Brent Cook (wildlife investor): conservation / economic perspective
- Ron Weissenberg (businessman): economic perspective
- Michael Glover (RU Philosophy): ethical perspective
- Friday 18 May: All welcome.
Venue: RU Union Lawns (adjacent to RU swimming pool), Prince Alfred Street.
Event: Candlelight Vigil – rhino poetry (open mic), Drumsoc. Bring your own picnic. – followed by a musical concert:
Venue: Union, Steve Biko Building, Prince Alfred Street.
Event: Graeme Watkins Project Concert (in collaboration with ROAR), raising funds for rhinos. Tickets available at the door.
More info: Ruth Krueger 076 295 8045, g10k2679(at)campus.ru.ac.za or Kate Janse van Rensburg 073 610 8620,
Please help us to raise funds so that we can give all our students a chance to access online teaching and learning. Covid-19 has disrupted our students' education. Don't let the digital divide put their future at risk. Visit www.ru.ac.za/rucoronavirusgateway to donate