Mr. Anthony J Sullivan
Mr A J Sullivan
Office: Room 39, Physics Building
Tel.: +27 (46) 603 8555
Fax: +27 (46) 603 8757
Phy 301: Module on Signals and Systems
Phy 301: Electronics Practicals
Phy 201: Modules on AC Theory
Phy 1E2: Electronics Literacy
Honours: Computer Interfacing I and II, Electronic Design
3rd year course coordinator
Phy 1E2 course coordinator
• Embedded control.
• Low cost MCU development systems.
• FOSS alternatives in acedemia.
Past Design Projects
• RU Meal Delivery System
The original system designed by Prof J Jonas was revamped to allow students to authenticate for meals in dining halls using their RFID student cards.
• LAN-Based Control System
A distributed control system was developed to monitor and control campus power usage.
• Temperature-Differential Instrumentation
This was a project undertaken for the Botany department, whereby they wanted to measure sap flow in trees by using differential temperature measurements.
• Access Control System
This system was developed for the department to enable controlled access to the department, without issuing keys to students. This was re-engineered to allow the use of RFID cards after the use of iButtons was stopped at Rhodes.
• Constant Environment Chamber Control
The control electronics for an old 'Conviron' Environment chamber were redesigned and implemented to allow the Botany department to re-use the old chamber. (In conjunction with A Youthed)
Past Student Research Topics
Various projects in Electronics including design and fabrication of
1. Intelligent USB powered battery charger (based on chemistry / capacity and ideal charging curves).
2. Digital Effects Processor
3. ZigBee Mesh Power Logic Controller - bringing pervasive control to the masses
4. PAL test pattern generator using a micro-controller
Current Student supervision:
• Mr Motlhalefi Phele, is working on an Honours project on Intelligent USB powered battery charger (based on chemistry / capacity and ideal charging curves).
• Mr Stefan Just, is working on an Honours project on a Digital Effects Processor. The aim being to analyse and replicate common music effects using DSP methods.
• Mr Charles Strickland is working on an Honours project to automate the control of the environment in a greenhouse.
Last Modified: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:25:29 SAST