The Department of Creative Arts, University of Lagos, Nigeria in collaboration with the Arts of Africa and the Global Souths Research Programme at Rhodes University, South Africa, will host a Publishing Workshop at the University of Lagos from Monday, November 4 to Friday, November 8, 2019.
PROSPA (Publishing and Research of the South: Positioning Africa) is a Mellon funded programme run by the Arts of Africa and the Global South research team at Rhodes University. It is linked to the Africa-based editorial consortium partnership of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Press Journal, African Arts.
The Annual Publishing Workshop, which brings together Africa-based scholars working in the visual arts, has taken place three (3) times so far. The first workshop was hosted by Rhodes University (2016); the second, hosted by Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda in collaboration with Rhodes University (2017), while the third edition was hosted by Rhodes University in collaboration with the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (2018).
Selected participants for this year’s edition are:
- Dr Abiodun Akande, University of Lagos
- Dr Akinwale Onipede, University of Lagos
- Dr Lekan Balogun, University of Lagos / University of Cape Town
- Dr Kim Gurney, University of Cape Town
- Dr Tosin Tume, Federal University Oye-Ekiti
- Dr Olusegun Titus, Obafemi Awolowo University.
- Kehinde Adepegba, Lagos State Polytechnic.
Members of the University community and the general public are cordially invited to participate in the workshop on Wednesday, November 6, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Institute of African and Diaspora Studies (IADS), JP Clark Centre, University of Lagos where there will be:
- A presentation titled, “Reaching Sideways As We Cast New Shadows: Counter-Narratives and a Geopolitics of Proximity in the Remaking of “African Studies””, by the Director of Arts of Africa and Global South Programme, Rhodes University, Prof Ruth Simbao.
- A performance by Jelili Atiku, a renowned multimedia artist, and
A panel discussion on publishing for postgraduate students and early-career scholars will hold on the same day at the Department of Creative Arts by 3:00 p.m.
Dr. Ganiyu Jimoh
Lecturer, Department of Creative Arts, University of Lagos,
Postdoctoral Fellow, Rhodes University.
Prof. Ruth Simbao
Director, Arts of Africa and Global South Programme,
Fine Arts Department, Rhodes University.
Click here for original articleSource: University of Lagos