The Makhanda Circle of Unity Scholarship has been established by the Makhanda Circle of Unity Forum for the fulfillment of an inclusive and purposeful approach for the socio-economic development of Makhanda and its surroundings, which aims to bring together all relevant and interested voices, communities, and stakeholders in a spirit of problem-solving, partnership and civic participation.
Applications are invited from academically strong candidates who intend to register for a PhD degree (full-time in attendance) in 2021.
Value: R120 000
Applicants must be residents of the Sarah Baartman District*
The area of research must be in one of the following seven areas of focus by the CoU:
- Process Cluster: To develop a constitutive framework for the Forum. This includes the basis for consensus building and to formalise structures and provide for a governance system;
- Accountability Cluster: To address monitoring and reporting for citizenship campaigns and to improve citizens monitoring and oversight over the municipality;
- Local Economic Development Cluster: To enable an effective marketplace for ideas, products and services and find the best options for job creation;
- Community Engagement and Marketing Cluster: To create and sustain platforms for messaging, promotion of cohesion, Makhanda brand development, and community involvement;
- Safety and Security Cluster: To focus focuses on bylaws, prevention, and education;
- Education Cluster: To strengthen Makhanda as the heartland for education, creativity, and tourism.
- Food Security Cluster: The Mission of MCUFSC is to support individuals and communities with projects to achieve food security. Good listening and promoting local leadership is a cornerstone for this mission.
Closing date: 11 December 2020
Applications process: The application must include the following:
- Covering letter of motivation which needs to include the area of the proposed research relevant to one of the seven points outlined above;
- Academic CV, academic Transcript of UG and PG course history;
Completed applications (single PDF) to be emailed to: email@example.com
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered