FAQ

Salaries

Q: When is pay day?
A: At the end of each year the Human Resources Division set up a list of pay dates and submission dates which is circulated to each department. A copy of the dates are also to be found in the “Comprehensive Guide for Members of Staff” booklet. Hard copies can be obtained, on request, from Human Resources or Salaries.

Q: Why is my money not in my account?
A: It could be that we entered your bank details incorrectly onto the system, you might have given us the incorrect details or that you have changed banks during the month and the previous account is closed. Please consult your bank.

BEFORE coming to the salaries section, bring a printout of your bank account with you.

Q: Why do I have to pay tax and why does it fluctuate?
A: Do not feel persecuted! EVERYONE has to pay tax. The tax threshold for the 2009 tax year is R46 000 so if you earn less than R3 833 per month ON A REGULAR BASIS you will not attract tax. (Please note the difference between NO TAX and NOT ATTRACTING tax)

A: Tax in February often fluctuates as the system is designed to check your earnings against your tax deductions and either collects tax back from you or refunds you tax in this month. In March the tax deduction often goes up especially if you are on Bonus Provision, as this increases every year in March. However, thanks to Trevor Manual, our tax tables are reduced from March but only comes into effect on the payroll in April, backdated to March. May therefore will be the first month that you will be able to see the correct tax to be deducted throughout the year. If you still want to know WHY please attend one of the numerous tax lectures given to staff and students by Prof Matthew Lester.

Q: Why do you deduct UIF?
A: It has become policy that every person who earns a salary has to pay 1% of their salary to UIF. Note the Rhodes University also contributes 1% on your behalf to UIF. The UIF ceiling is R8 099 per month. That means that any salary above R8 099 per month will only have the maximum of R80.99 deducted per month.

Q: What percentage of my salary goes to Pension/Provident Fund and what is the Company Contribution?
A: 7.5% of your salary is what is paid on your behalf to the Pension or Provident Fund and the University contributes 15% making a total contribution of R22.5% to the fund.

Q: What is RU’s contribution to my Medical Aid?
A: Medical Aid contributions are linked to the salary that one earns and the University pays in the equivalent of your contribution. If, therefore, your contribution is R382.50 per month, RU’s contribution if R382.50.

Q: What is METBEN on my payslip stand for?
A: This deduction forms part of your Medical Aid deduction and is a Funeral Policy which, by law, has to be shown as a separate deduction.

Q: Why am I unable to get an employee code the same day that I start work?
A: There are many items that have to be processed on the salaries system before you are actually ‘employed’ at the university.

The salaries section has to have:

  1. A copy of your contract with RU (so we know when you will start, what your conditions of employment are and how much to pay you)
  2. A copy of the Personal Particulars Form (very important) so that we can input your correct name and initials, your address, your ID number and of course, which bank account to put your money into
  3. A copy of your request to be put onto Pension of the Provident Fund.
  4. A copy of your Medical Aid requirements (how many members will be on your medical aid.)
  5. Which Group Life option you have chosen.

Last Modified: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:14:01 SAST