Dr L Goosen
Head of Division
HDE (UPE), MSc (WI) PhD (UV)
Head of Division Pharmaceutical Chemistry – Senior lecturer
Room no: T4 Telephone: 0466037425 Email: mailto:email@example.com
- Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Structural Elucidation
- Photochemistry and Photostability
Current Research Projects
- Conformational Analysis of Flavonoids
- Chemistry and bioactivity of African Medicinal Plants
- Chemical Education
- Y. Gaoni, A. Tomasi? and E. D. Potgieter, Stereochemistry of Addition of Organocopper Reagents and the Hydride Ion to 1-(arylsulfonyl)bicyclo[1.1.0]butanes. J. Org. Chem., 50, 2943 – 2947, 1985.
- R. Chayen, Y. Mazur, H. Wyler, E. Berman, E. Potgieter and S. Goldberg, Urodiolenone from grapefruit juice, a urinary metabolite found in hypertensive subjects. Phytochemistry, 27(2), 369 – 372, 1988.
- L. Spies, T.C. Koekemoer, A.A. Sowemimo, E.D. Goosen, M. Van de Venter Caspase-dependent apoptosis is induced by Artemisia afra Jacq. ex Willd in a mitochondria-dependent manner after G2/M arrest. South African Journal of Botany 01/; 84:104, 2013
- Luanne Venables,* Trevor. C. Koekemoer, Maryna van de Venter, and Eleonora.D Goosen. Isoalantolactone, a sesquiterpene lactone from Artemisia afra Jacq. ex Willd and its in vitro mechanism of induced cell death in HeLa cells. South African Journal of Botany 2016
Recent former students
2014: Mr M Nyambe, “An Investigation of the Potential Anti-diabetic (insulinomimetic) Activity of Anti-oxidant Compounds Derived from Sargassum heterophyllum” Co-supervision with Dr D.R Beukes, Rhodes University. With Distinction.
Mr Tanyi Kima : Determination of cause and mechanism of convulsive adverse effect associated with Acmella caulirhiza”
Mr Hugan West:
2014: Mrs L Venables: “Flow cytometric applications in the investigation of the mechanism of apoptosis by extracts of and iso-alantolactone isolated from Artemisia afra Jacq. ex Willd. “ Co-supervision with Prof Maryna Van de Venter. (NMMU)
2016: Mr Théoneste Umumararungu, Synthesis and exploration of resorcinol derivatives as Plasmodium falciparum Hsp90 inhibitors. Joint supervision with Dr S D Khanye.
2013 – present: Ms Odunayo Atewolara-Odule, Department of Chemistry, faculty of Science, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, Co-supervision with supervisor: Dr. Olapeju Aiyelaagbe.
Awards and grants
Rhodes University Vice Chancellor’s Senior Distinguished Teaching Award 2014
Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of South Africa Distinguished Teacher Award 2016
HELTASA / CHE National Excellence in Teaching and Learning Award 2016: Commendation
HERS-SA Academy 2016
South African Chemical Institute (SACI)
Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa (PSSA)
Southern African Biochemistry and Informatics for Natural Products (SABINA)
Last Modified: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:41:39 SAST