Rhodes University Logo
Rhodes > Human Resources > Academic Staff > Leave > Academic Leave

Academic Leave

Academic staff appointed permanently accrue academic leave at a rate of 2 months per completed 12 months. For the purpose of granting academic leave credits, previous service as an academic with Rhodes University is taken into account when staff are appointed to permanent contracts. Those individuals transferring from another Higher Education institution can also request that they transfer academic leave credits, subject to conditions outlined in the employment contract. Academic leave becomes available upon confirmation of appointment. Please note that certain requirements around the use of academic leave particularly for staff without a PhD have been approved as at November 2012.

Please note that application are done online at: https://ross.ru.ac.za

Conditions of Academic Leave

Applications for academic leave should:

 1.       By Monday 31st of July 2017, be submitted online to the Head of Department for recommendation
And then
2.       By Tuesday, 15th of August 2017, be forwarded online to the Dean of Faculty for his/her recommendation:
And then
3.       By Thursday, 31th of August 2017, be forwarded online to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Development for authorization;
4.       You will be advised by the HR Division, by the end of October 2017, as to whether your academic leave has been recommended for approval. All queries related to academic leave should be directed to your relevant Senior HR Practitioner; and
5.      If the application is approved, the HoD will be advised of the academic leave funds made available to the department. This will be done by the HR Division. 

Appointments Against Academic Leave

Academic Leave Report Format

Motivation Document

 Related to your group life insurance: Group life requirements

Related to taxation issues: Possible tax exemption while on academic leave (Academic leave taken outside of RSA and Related tax implications)

Additional Leave Over and Above Academic Leave

Currently eligible staff can apply for academic leave over and above their entitlement. This is as follows:

  • Claude Leon Merit Award for Lecturers in the science disciplines funding programme (supports lecturers with emerging research records).Please contact the DVC: Research and Development's Office (dvc.research@ru.ac.za) for further information. Claude Leon Merit Award for Lecturers
  • NRF Sabbatical Grants to complete Doctoral Degrees. This is an annual NRF call that comes out during each first quarter. Individuals need to be nominated by the Institution. Academics who are in the final stretch of their doctoral thesis can express their interest to the DVC.research@ru.ac.za. Individuals whose nominations have been accepted by the NRF will be notified by the Research Office. Only these individuals may apply for this type of leave.
  • HoD Academic Leave: Protocol regarding allocation of academic leave following end of term of office of HoD

If you have any queries, please contact the HR Generalist for your Faculty:

Last Modified: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 08:28:58 SAST