- Research Associate Fabio Diaz has published the book Truth, Justice and Reconciliation in Colombia Transitioning from Violence.
- Professor Alex Amtaika recently published the book Socio-Economic Development in Africa: Challenges and Dimensions as well as the book The Democratization of Africa: Dynamics and Trends.
- Professor Paul Bischoff is co-editor of the book Africa in Global International Relations Emerging approaches to theory and practice.
- Dr Sally Matthews is editor of the book NGOs and Social Justice in South Africa and Beyond.
Members of the department publish in a wide range of journals and other publications. Please see individual researchers’ pages for more information on our recent publications. Some of the recent highlights include:
- Chipaike, R. and Bischoff, P. 2018. A Challenge to Conventional Wisdom: Locating Agency in Angola’s and Ghana’s Economic Engagements with China. Journal of Asian and African Studies, Vol. 53(7) 1002–1017. Available here.
- Matthews, S. (2018) Confronting the Colonial Library: Teaching Political Studies Amidst Calls for a Decolonised Curriculum, Politikon, 45:1, 48-65, DOI: 10.1080/02589346.2018.1418204. Available here.
- Matthews, S. (2017) Colonised minds? Post-development theory and the desirability of development in Africa, Third World Quarterly, 38(12): 2650-2663. Available here.
- Chiwandire, D and L. Vincent. 2017. ‘Wheelchair users, access and exclusion in South African higher education’. African Journal of Disability. 6(0), a353. Available here.
- Munyuki, C. and L. Vincent. 2018. Strangers "at Home": Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Students’ strategies for Resisting Heteronormativity in University Residence Life. South African Journal of Higher Education, 32(3):64-80. Available here.
- Magadla, S. 2016. Women combatants and the liberation movements in South Africa: Guerrilla girls, combative mothers and the in-betweeners. In Gender, Peace and Security in Africa, edited by R. Sigsworth and C. Hendricks. New York: Routledge.
- Jordaan, E. 2017. The emerging middle power concept: Time to say goodbye? South African Journal of International Affairs, 24(3): 395-412. Available here.