Information for New Students
Please read the information below carefully.
All Medical Aid information. If you are on a Medical Aid; please make sure you have the medical aid member and all relevant details. Please ensure that you have all the revelent information regarding any medication, any allergies or any other health issues.
Contact details for your next of kin in Case of Emergency, including ALL contact numbers (cell, work, home), e-mail address and home address.
- The onus is on students to provide the University with all medical details in the event of an emergency. You can update all your medical information and personal details on ROSS.
Things you might want to bring with to Residence:
This list is not prescriptive but suggestions from experienced Wardens and Students. Please note all of this can be bought in Grahamstown and you don’t have to bring it from home.
Rhodes University provides bed linen but you may bring your own (you will be responsible for the laundering). We provide a duvet, sheet, pillows, a blanket and curtains. They are all single beds. Each Residence has a microwave oven, fridges, tumble driers and washing machines for the Residents at no extra charge.
- Tray for kettle
- Drinking mug, glasses and cereal bowl
- Microwave dish
- Fork, knife, spoons, can/bottle opener
- Small cooler bag with zip and padlock (to store foodstuff in communal fridge)
- Toiletries and towels
- Laundry basket or bag
- Washing powder (for cold water washing)
- Pegs and clothes hangers
- Iron (there are ironing boards in the residences)
- Alarm clock
- Radio/stereo (with headphones so as not to disturb your fellow residents)
- Hangers for clothes
- Large water bottle
- Good quality multiplug extension
- Exampads and clipboard
- Laptop/Computer (there are computers based in the study rooms/common rooms in each residence as well as computer labs on campus)
- Torch (to help when the lights go out)
Things you must not bring to Residence:
Certain household items pose a fire hazard when utilized in buildings inhabited by many people. Students are not allowed these things in the Residence:
- Air conditioners
- Electric blankets
- Homemade extension cords
- Extension cords with joins in them
- Hot plates
- Coffee makers
- Cooking appliances, e.g:
- Hot plates
- Toasters/Toaster ovens
- Snackwich or Waffle maker
- Electric fryingpan
- Microwave ovens
Students need to pack up their rooms usually three times a year when the University uses the Residences for the Conferences. We have Box-Rooms in each Residence where students may store their belongings during the vacation. Please read the Box-Room protocol.
Last Modified: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:18:01 SAST