The University uses the centralized network printer configuration Novell iPrint for self service installation of printers on campus.
Instructions on how to install an iPrint Printer on Microsoft Windows are as follows:
- Open a Web Browser, preferably Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer and go to https://iprintc.ru.ac.za/ipp (Staff and Departmental Printers) or https://iprintf.ru.ac.za/ipp (Residence and Student Printers) depending on which printer you want to install.
- On this webpage, scroll down the list of printers and click on the one that applies to your physical location. If this is your first time you’ve installed a printer on iPrint, you will be asked to install the iPrint Client. You should only need to install this once. Click OK and "Install the iPrint Client" to continue with the installation. Continue to step 7 if you already have the iPrint Client installed.
- This should download the file "nipp.exe" into your Downloads folder. Run/Execute "nipp.exe" by double-clicking on it. This should start the iPrint Client installation.
- If prompted with the User Account Control Window (as seen in the screenshot below)...click "Yes" to continue with the installation.
- Thereafter, the Novell iPrint Client Setup will begin. Click Next through to Finish.
Once successfully installed, you should notice a Novell iPrint Client icon in the Windows System Tray (next to the time on the taskbar).
- Close you internet browser window completely and re-open it again. In the address bar, again go to http://iprintc.ru.ac.za/ipp (Staff and Departmental Printers) or http://iprintf.ru.ac.za/ipp (Residence and Student Printers) depending on which printer you want to install.
- If this was not the first time installing an iPrint printer, you should now be at this step.
- Find your specific printer in the list and click on it to continue with the installation. Pay attention to the top of the Web Browser for blocked popups and allow them for iprint if necessary.
- At this point, you should be prompted with your RU staff/student username and password. If you do not know this password, staff can reset their password from this page http://www.ru.ac.za/informationtechnology/resources/changestaffpassword/; for Students, you can reset your password here https://ross.ru.ac.za/passwd/
- After correctly authenticating, you will be asked to install the printer, at which point you should click "Yes". Once installed you will receive a popup that the printer was installed successfully.
All done, the printer will now be available for selection in your printer list when printing documents etc.
Last Modified: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:27:46 SAST