The first family tree was deposited at the Albany Museum in 1958 and since then there has been a steady growth of the genealogical collection. It soon became apparent that systematic research and curation was essential and this was initially undertaken by a team of amateur volunteers, led by Mrs D Rivett-Carnac. The Genealogy Department was established as a separate entity within the History Division of the Museum in 1983 and has since been staffed by a succession of professional research officers. The post of Genealogist is currently filled by Mr William Jervois who is contract worker, partially funded by the 1802 Settlers Association. He is able to compile family histories, together with appropriate heraldry, through a wide range of documentary and photographic reference material.
Last Modified: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:04:17 SAST