The front of the core-block of this building, now entirely occupied by galleries, was build between 1889 and 1902. Additions to this building over the years have resulted in it now consisting of 8800m² of floor space of which about 2200m² is occupied by exhibition galleries. The remainder houses administration, workshops, research departments, collections, the library, taxidermy workshop, art studios, education facilities and an 80-seat lecture hall. In 1941 a fire gutted the building, destroying much of the exhibition material. The Museum was rebuilt and new exhibits constructed with specimens generously supplied by other museums in South Africa.
Last Modified: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:04:18 SAST