Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body - Elizabeth Stone
Bringing a new member into your family is an exciting adventure but as with most adventures a lot of planning needs to be done in advance.
As part of its commitment to developing a framework of family friendly policies, Rhodes University offers progressive parental leave conditions that recognise the changing society we live in.
Who do I share my good news with?
- Line Manager - so they share in your joy, support and guide you and start the process to appoint a temp while you are away and plan your leave/parental leave.
- HR Generalist - your one stop shop! Any questions about your leave, UIF benefits, possible financial assistance and employment can be discussed with them! For example:
- Fill out the necessary paperwork with your HR Generalist including UIF documents:
UI-19 Form (Employers declaration of Employee)
UI-4 Form (Application for Continuation of Payment of Maternity Benefits)
UI-2.3 Form (Application for Maternity Benefits)
UI-2.7 Form (Remuneration received by the Employee whilst still in employment)
UI-2.8 Form (Authorisation to pay benefits into banking account)
- Enquire about getting authorisation from your medical aid re any medical procedures.
- Enquire about adding your child to your medical aid
- Discuss your possible financial assistance options with regards to your potentially delayed UIF payout.
- Finding out how UIF works: Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to know?
Birth of a Child
Adoption of a Child
Time Off For My Partner
Or you can read the Parental Leave Policy
Helpful Numbers for Parents To Be
Exercise & Healthy eating during pregnancy - handy tips
What are my options when I need to return to work?
- Care for Children
- RU has a day care centre for young budding minds - see more at Day Care Centre
What do I do if things don't turn out the way we expect?
Miscarriage of a Child
Offering up a Child for Adoption
Death of the Birth Mother
Last Modified: Tue, 15 May 2018 16:33:24 SAST