All international students are required to have South African medical cover for the duration of their study at Rhodes University.
- As this is a requirement for study visa purposes, proof of cover will have to be provided when applying for your visa BEFORE your arrival in South Africa.
- The cost of this is NOT included in the Rhodes' fees schedule.
- It is legally required by the Government that international students have medical cover, stipulated under Immigration Act 10 (2004) which requires that students must provide proof of medical cover with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act 131 (1998).
- If you unsure whether your Medical Scheme is accepted by Rhodes University, please check that it is on this list of Medical Schemes registered in South Africa, see www.medicalschemes.com/MedicalSchemes.aspx.
- If you are already a member of another Medical Aid, even one that is Internationally recognised, please be advised that you are still liable to take out a South African Medical Cover in collaboration with our ABSA Health Care Consultants.
Medical Aid Options
Medical Aid Consultants
Medical Aid consultants are come to campus every second Thursday. They are set up in the Glass Box at Eden Grove, and are up between 11:00 and 13:00.
For those who have not yet collected their cards, please do come and collect them when the consultants are here. This is also a lovely time for any questions/queries to be attended to.
Medical Aid FAQs
1. Why do I need medical cover to study in SA?
2. I have a non-South African Medical Aid. Can I use this?
3. Can I join any medical scheme in South Africa?
4. Why does Rhodes not accept International insurance/medical aid products that confirm they will cover students whilst studying in SA?
5. What role does ABSA HCC play, and are they a medical aid option/scheme?
6. Does having ABSA HCC as intermediary cost the student anything?
7. Does Rhodes University benefit in any way by appointing ABSA HCC or by enforcing the rule that students must belong to a South African Medical Aid?
8. Do I have other options as far as medical aid is concerned?
9. Are there any cheaper options available?
10. What about Medical Insurance?
11. Can I pay on a monthly basis?
12. Can I pay for 1 semester at a time (6 months)?
13. Can I use my medical aid when I go back home?
14. Does the medical aid have any other benefits, e.g. lost luggage insurance, repatriation etc?
15. Can I cancel my medical aid and join another option/scheme?
16. If I made a payment to the medical scheme, is there any reason for which I can get my contributions back?
17. Can I apply prior to registration?
18. How do I apply and pay for medical aid?
19. How do I get my medical aid card?
20. Can I go to any doctor?
21. Can I get medication from the pharmacy?
22. Will the medical aid pay for my Visa-required medical tests?
23. Can I get a refund if I don’t use my medical aid for the year?
24. What if I have a problem/complaint with regard to the medical aid?
25. What if I just want general information on my benefits?
26. How long does it take for me to get my confirmation after I’ve paid?
Last Modified: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:52:45 SAST