There are three competition categories:
JUNIOR (up to and including Grade 7 school level).
The minimum standard is UNISA/ABRSM/Trinity Grade 2.
The time duration of each round is 5 to 10 minutes.
SENIOR (up to and including Grade 12 school level).
The minimum standard is UNISA/ABRSM/Trinity Grade 5.
The time duration of each round is 6 to 12 minutes.
TERTIARY (tertiary institution or in private study).
The minimum standard is UNISA/ABRSM/Trinity Grade 8.
The time duration of each round is 10 to 15 minutes.
1st round: one Baroque and one Romantic piece.
2nd round: one Classical and one 20th Century piece.
Semifinal: one work from each of the previous rounds (NB: no new piece required).
Final: one piece selected by the jury will be performed at the final concert.
All candidates will perform in both the first and second rounds. Six semifinalists from each category will proceed to the 3rd round. Three finalists from each round will proceed to the finals.
VENUE AND DATES
The competition takes place from 21 - 23 June 2018 in the Beethoven Room, Department of Music and Musicology, Rhodes University, Grahamstown.
REGISTRATION AND OPENING CONCERT
Registration and the opening concert will take place in the Beethoven Room on Wednesday 20 June 2018. Registration for the competition begins at 6.30 pm in the competition office at the Department of Music and Musicology. All participants will receive free entrance to the opening concert which begins at 7 pm.
NB: Participants must present ONE RING BOUND COPY of their music for the adjudicators at registration.
The decision of the adjudicators will be final. The adjudicators will not provide written comments to the competitors.
ACCOMPANISTS will be provided at a rate of R350 (Junior), R500 (Senior) and R750 (Tertiary). Entrants must make their own arrangements for practice times. Contact details for the accompanists will be available by 15th May. If an accompanist is required for a Senior or Tertiary entry, entrants must be available to rehearse at least 2 days before the competition begins.
Each applicant should submit the completed application form by FRIDAY, 27 APRIL 2018.
NB Applicants who request an accompanist MUST submit one copy of their music with their applications.
Successful applicants will be notified by MONDAY, 7 MAY 2018. The organizers reserve the right to limit the number of contestants. No reasons will be given or correspondence entered into concerning the decision.
COMPETITION ENTRY FEE
The entry fee of R250 is payable by MONDAY, 28 MAY 2018.
First, second and third prizes will be awarded in each category as follows:
Tertiary: R3500 (1st), R2500 (2nd) and R1500 (3rd)
Secondary: R3 000 (1st), R2 000 (2nd) and R1000 (3rd).
Junior: R2000 (1st), R1500 (2nd) and R1000 (3rd).
Additional prizes of R1000 each from any category will be awarded to:
Best woodwind performer
Best string performer
Most promising entrant from Grahamstown
All semi-finalists and finalists will receive a certificate of achievement.
- Entry form to be used by one participant only. Forms may be photocopied.
- Entrants need not have passed grade exams but must perform at the level required for their category.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- Only transcriptions by recognized composers/editions will be allowed.
- No repeats in movements will be allowed. Da capo's should be played where applicable.
- Performing with photocopies at this competition will NOT be allowed.
- No recordings (audio or video) or photography will be allowed during the competition.
- All sessions will be open to the public.
- Practice facilities will be available to the contestants throughout the competition.
- Prizes will be announced and awarded to competitors in each category at the end of the competition for their section