- All Medical Aid information if you are on a Medical Aid, including main medical aid member and all relevant details. Please also advise if you are on any medication, have any allergies or any other health issues.
- Contact details for your next of kin in case of emergency, including ALL contact numbers (cell, work, home), e-mail address and home address.
Things you might want to bring with to residence:
(Please note most of this can be bought in Grahamstown and you don’t have to bring everything from home!)
- Laptop/Computer (if you do not have; there are 2 communal computers in each residence, as well as Computer Labs close by on Campus)
- Kettle with tray
- Drinking mug and glass
- Cereal bowl
- Microwave dish
- Fork, knife, spoon, teaspoon, can/bottle opener
- Small cooler bag with zip and padlock (to store foodstuff in communal fridge)
- Clothing for all seasons (as temperatures in Grahamstown can vary, and sometimes you experience all 4 seasons in one day!)
- Smart-casual clothes for dinners/events/functions
- Bath and swimming towels
- Washing powder (for automatic washing machines - cold water wash)
- Laundry basket/bag
- Clothes hangers
- Iron (ironing boards are available in each res)
- Torch (for power outages, as no candles allowed)
- Large water bottle (drinking water is delivered to residence by AquaPure, and costs approximately R1.40 per litre)
- Alarm clock
- Radio/Stereo (with headphones so as not to disturb your fellow residents)
- Good quality multi-plug extension
- Hairdryer (if you use one)
- Stationery/Exam Pads/Files/Book bag
The University provides bed linen consisting of: a duvet & duvet inner, mattress cover, sheet, 2 pillows & pillowcases, and a blanket. Students may change their linen once a week with the Housekeeper. You may bring your own linen, but then you will be responsible for the laundering. They are all single beds.
Each Residence has a microwave oven, fridges, tumble driers and washing machines for the Residents at no extra charge.
Students need to pack up their rooms completely for most of the vacations as the University uses the Residences for the Grahamstown National Arts Festival, and Conferences, etc. We have Box Rooms in each Residence where students may store their belongings during the vacation. Please see the Box Room Protocol in the Drostdy Hall Rules 2021 Book.
Things Not to Bring:
Certain household items pose a fire hazard when utilised in buildings inhabited by many people. Students are not allowed these things in the Residence.
- Air conditioners
- Electric blankets
- Coffee makers
- Cooking appliances, e.g:
- Hot plates
- Toasters/Toaster ovens
- Snackwich or Waffle maker
- Electric fryingpan
- Microwave ovens
- Homemade extension cords
- Extension cords with joins in them
- Heaters (each student room has a heater installed)
Last Modified: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 13:07:39 SAST