Research and Postgraduate Education:
Research and postgraduate education are core activities in the Science Faculty. Between 2003 and 2012, total weighted outputs (research papers and graduating Master’s and Doctoral students) increased by 96%. There has been a 108% increase in the number of postgraduates (MSc & PhD) graduating between 2003 and 2013 and an 88% increase in papers (2003-2012). In April 2017 we graduated 38 PhDs and 107 Master’s students.
47 of our academic staff have an NRF rating and we have two A rated scientists.
We host seven SARChi Research Chairs in the following areas:
- Distinguishe Professor T Nyokong: Medicinal Chemistry and Nanotechnology http://www.ru.ac.za/nanotechnology/
- Distinguished Professor C McQuaid: Marine Ecosystems: http://www.ru.ac.za/zoologyandentomology/people/christophermcquaid/
- Professo O Smirnov: SKA Chair in Radio Astronomy Techniques and Technologies http://www.ru.ac.za/physicsandelectronics/radioastronomycentre/
- Professor S Compton: Insects in Sustainable Agricultural Ecosystems https://www.ru.ac.za/zoologyandentomology/people/stevecompton/
- Professor C Shackleton: Interdisciplinary Science in Land and Natural Resource Use for Sustainable Livelihoods http://www.ru.ac.za/environmentalscience/staff/staffacademic/charlieshackleton/
- Professor R Dorrington Marine Natural Products Research http://www.ru.ac.za/bm/people/academicstaff/dorrington/
- Professor J Limson: Science Communication http://www.ru.ac.za/biotech/people/staff/profjanicelimson/
- Professor A Edkins: Biomedical Biotechnology https://www.ru.ac.za/bm/people/academicstaff/edkins/
Visit the departmental web sites to learn more about our research
Our research is strengthened by close collaboration with research institutes and facilities in the region including SAIAB http://www.saiab.ac.za/, SAEON http://www.saeon.ac.za/ and the Albany Museum http://www.ru.ac.za/albanymuseum/.
Please click on links below for more information on research within the faculty and university:
Research Groups and Focus areas
Faculty Repair Fund (please contact the Dean of Science)
Last Modified: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 15:52:57 SAST