Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Claude Leon Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019
The flagship educational initiative of the Claude Leon Foundation is the Postdoctoral Fellowship programme in the sciences, now in its twentieth year. The main goal of the programme is to help build research capacity in South African universities and research institutions. The Foundation funds both South African and foreign postdoctoral scientists in Science, Engineering and Medical Sciences to increase the volume and quality of research output, develop and transfer technical skills, and generally enhance the research culture in South Africa. Applications for fellowships are considered on a competitive basis and are open to all South Africa’s tertiary institutions.
The Fellowships will be available from January 2019 for two (2) years and are valued at R275 000 per annum; fellows can also apply for relocation costs from abroad, and support for international conference attendance.
RU Internal Closing Date: 02 May 2018
Application forms should be sent to the host university/institution for signature and then forwarded to the Foundation by the institution, not by the candidate.
- Only candidates who received their PhDs in 2014 or later will be eligible.
- Ensure that the application form and all the accompanying documents reach the institution/university BEFORE THE INSTITUTION’S CLOSING DATE (not the Foundation’s closing date). This will be well before the Foundation’s closing date of 31 May 2018.
- Please attach CLEAR copies of all university transcripts and degree certificates and, if not in English, please attach English translations.
- Ensure that confidential references are sent by your referees directly to the university or institution in time. It is your responsibility to ensure that the university has received the references.
Claude Leon Postdoctoral Fellowship Terms and Conditions are to be found on: http://www.leonfoundation.co.za/postdoctoral-guidelines.htm
NRF Freestanding, Innovation and Scarce Skills Postdoctoral Fellowships 2019
Research Office deadline: 07 May 2018
The National Research Foundation (NRF) in partnership with the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) are pleased to announce the call for fellowship applications for 2019 in the following categories:
- DST- NRF- Freestanding Postdoctoral Fellowships;
- DST- NRF- Innovation Postdoctoral Fellowships; and
- DST- NRF- DHET - Scarce Skills Development Fund: Postdoctoral Fellowships.
General eligibility criteria for all Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- Applicants must have obtained their Doctoral degree within five (5) years of submitting an application to the NRF;
- Applicants who are currently completing their Doctoral dissertation for submission may apply however, they should complete their Doctoral degree by 31 December 2018, as awards that are not taken up by 30 June 2019 will be cancelled by the NRF;
- Applicants who are applying for a second NRF Postdoctoral research placement to continue with research on the same project are not eligible;
- Applicants who are applying for a second NRF Postdoctoral research placement will be eligible if they intend undertaking research on a new project;
- Applicants who are applying for a third NRF Postdoctoral research placement are not eligible; and
- Full-time employees of Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s) or other research institutions are only eligible to apply if they intend to take unpaid leave for the duration of the postdoctoral fellowship.
The institutional application deadline for applicants is Monday, 07 May 2018. Applicants must apply on the NRF Online Submission System at: https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za.
For more information pertaining to this Call, please refer to the Framework and Application and Funding Guide.
- Application and Funding Guide - FISS Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019
- Framework NRF Freestanding, Innovation and Scarce Skills Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019
Kindly contact your DA for this programme should you have any additional queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rhodes University Postdoctoral Fellowship
Applications are invited for 2019
Closing Date: 31 July 2018
The University Council has established several Rhodes University Postdoctoral Fellowships across all faculties which may be awarded for one year with the possibility of renewal. The Fellowships are intended to foster existing research and scholarly or creative activities within Rhodes University departments and institutes. Ideally a Fellow's proposed work will closely complement existing programmes in the host department.
Although there is no age restriction, potential Fellows must hold a doctoral degree, awarded within the last five years, preferably from an institution other than Rhodes University and recognized as appropriate to the discipline for which the Fellowship is sought. The Fellowship will be awarded strictly on merit.
An applicant who has not completed their PhD at the time the Fellowship is offered must have submitted the PhD thesis by the end of 2018. In these circumstances the Research Office will require written assurance from the applicant's supervisor that there is a reasonable expectation that the doctoral degree will be awarded.
Value of the Award
The value of the Fellowship is R180 000 per annum with an additional allocation of R20 000 to support the presentation of papers at formal conferences. The Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with any other supplementary funding.
Conditions of Award
The University expects that all publications, creative works and other academic products of the Fellowship will bear appropriate acknowledgement with full affiliation to Rhodes University. The University reserves the right to co-ownership of inventions and/or patents directly emanating from research conducted under the sponsorship of the Fellowship.
The University reserves the right to request the refund of any fellowship paid to the Fellow should the Fellow terminate their contract prior to its completion.
Applications for the Fellowships should be made through the potential host department and then directed to the Research Office (email@example.com). The determination of awards will be made by a committee comprising the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Development (Chair), the Director: Research Office and Faculty Deans.
The committee is not bound to award any or all of the Fellowships in any one year.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Modified: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 12:06:34 SAST