General IT Training Information
The IT training courses are offered for the purpose of developing Rhodes Staff members in the field of IT so as to improve their effectiveness and efficiency in their work places.
Any development opportunity at Rhodes should be regarded as a privilege and should not be taken for granted. The HR Dicvision encourages managers to release staff to attend training; however employees not performing in their work place should not expect to have their course applications approved by their manager.
How to apply for a course?
First you need to carefully review the CourseDetails document to see where you should slot in with your development. The Advised Path of IT Skill Development table at the end of this document should aid you in plotting a development plan.
Once you have determined what courses you need/want to attend look at the Training Schedule and determine if you can attend all the sessions scheduled for the course of interest. If this is possible, download the Application Form & Learner Agreement or collect these from Rm 225 in the HR Division. Complete both documents and return these to the HR Division before the closing date for the course. Should a pre-test be necessary please collect this from the HR Division too.
NOTE: The closing date for a course is 2 weeks prior to the start of the course.
Who can attend?
All IT Courses, with the exception of the Basic Computer Literacy course, are now open to members of the public, provided they meet the entrance requirements for the relevant course. For more information regarding Terms & Conditions, Prices, etc. please email Michelle Tail (M.Tait@imaginet.co.za).
Applications from any of the Rhodes affiliated institutes are welcome; however preference is always given to Rhodes staff members.
Order of Priority for Applications
10 seats on every course are reserved for Rhodes University staff members and 5 seats are available to members of the public. With regards to the staff seats, and assuming all entrance requirements to a course are met, preference is given to applicants in the following order:
- Full time Rhodes staff member needing to attend for work purposes (this includes permanent staff working mornings only)
- Full time Rhodes staff member wanting to attend for personal development (this includes permanent staff working mornings only)
- Contract/temporary Rhodes staff member needing to attend for work purposes – provided the contract of employment extends 3 months beyond the completion of the course.
- Contract/temporary Rhodes staff member wanting to attend for personal development.
- Rhodes affiliate staff member needing course for work purposes.
- Rhodes affiliate staff member wanting to attend for personal development.
NOTE: Rhodes Interns attend a batch of IT Courses designed exlusively for Interns and will therefore not need to attend the Staff & Public courses.
- All courses are run in the Staff Training Lab which can be found on the ground floor of the Main Admin building.
- All courses (except for the Basic Computer Literacy course) run from 9:00am – 13:00pm.
- Please see the Course Details document for information on what courses are on offer, an outline of the course content and the entrance requirements for each course.
- See the Course Schedule for dates of the individual courses and sessions
- The closing date for applications is 2 weeks prior to the start of a course.
- Manuals are provided
- Tea is served at 10:30am in the Senior Common room
Last Modified: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 09:31:47 SAST