Staff, students and citizens are encouraged to follow these energy saving guidelines:
- Switch off lights when not needed / when you leave the room.
- Switch off heaters and other appliances when not needed / when you leave the room.
- Use fans instead of air conditioners (or set air con temp no lower than 22oC).
- Hang washing on the clothes line instead of using a tumble dryer.
- Report excessive heating / cooling in computer laboratories to the IT Division Public Lab Administrator (Zanele Silala x8674 / z.silala(at)ru.ac.za).
- Use CFLs (compact fluorescent lighting) to save energy (instead of incandescent light bulbs). NB: CFLS require safe disposal practices .
- Computer monitors should be set to go on standby / switch off when not in use.
- Shut down computer overnight (a computer monitor left on overnight wastes enough energy to laser print 800 pages).
- Close doors and windows and ensure they are properly sealed.
- Unplug cell phone chargers, etc, when not in use.
- Set geyser thermostat at 55oC. Install geyser blankets and insulate all external hot water pipes.
- Shower instead of bath (a shower uses one fifth of the energy of a standard bath).
- Movement sensor lamps outdoors are better than lights left on all night.
- Electric blankets use less energy than heaters.
- Not permitted in residences: bar heaters, toasters, snackwich makers, electric frying pans, immersion heaters, fridges, TV braais, hot plates, and other appliances with high electricity demand.
Last Modified: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:01:11 SAST