Rhodes University Environmental Awards
Rewarding practices that promote sustainability
This year’s theme is SUSTAINABILITY AND INNOVATION DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC. We invite nominations from people/groups who have displayed excellent responsiveness and innovation in the development and execution of environmental activities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Anyone may nominate themselves/ another person/ group for an Environmental Award – including RU academic and administrative/service staff, students, and individuals or organisations in the Makana community.
A total of four categories will be considered for annual awards:
- RU department or institute or section (within division)
- RU student society or residence
- RU individual (staff or student)
- Makana community (non-RU individual or organisation).
Nominations should be based on tangible evidence of meeting the following criteria:
- Good sustainability practice: in no more than 150 words, provide tangible evidence of how the nominee’s practices embrace the principles of the RU Environmental Sustainability Policy and thus reflect a social-ecological interpretation of sustainability.
- Track record: in no more than 100 works, provide tangible evidence of how the nominee’s practices have been implemented for the last 12 months, or longer.
- Participation, inspiration and empowerment: in no more than 100 words, provide tangible evidence of how the nominee’s practices are educative and can be replicated, and/or include consistent and effective involvement of peers and/or community members; includes the number of people involved in planning and making decisions.
- Innovation: in no more than 100 words, provide tangible evidence of how the nominee’s practices are doing more than what is required by law or duty, and are promoting new ‘green’ technologies, with particular focus on innovation and excellence during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Continuity: in no more than 100 words, provide tangible evidence of strategies and guarantees that have been put in place by the nominee to ensure that the practices, or adaptations of the practices will continue to be implemented in the post-pandemic future.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS
Submission date: 16 August 2021
Submission addressed: RU Environmental Awards Panel
Recipients of the awards will be announced at a celebratory Environmental Award Ceremony to be held as a hybrid event, dependent on pandemic lockdown restrictions during September 2021.
The Environmental Awards Panel reserves the right not to issue an award where no significant achievement is deemed to be evident.
Last Modified: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 08:51:58 SAST