Sustainable travel is one of the Environmental Policy directives. Rhodes University strives to promote opportunities for sustainable travel, including efficient public and communal transport, cycling and walking, in order to minimise greenhouse gas emissions and reduce traffic and parking congestion on campus. RU Infrastucture and Operations Division is responsible for implementing water sustainability measures in line with the Policy. This includes:
1. Support the use, wherever possible, of efficient public and communal transport, bicycles and walking, and car-sharing.
2. Discourage unnecessary use of both private and university vehicles during the day, thus reducing traffic and parking issues on campus.
3. Liaise with the local municipality with regard to shared public transport strategies.
4. Promote sustainable practices and invest in technologies required for university stakeholders to engage in practices such as Zoom and Skype meetings, and video conferencing.
5. Encourage university stakeholders travelling internationally to contribute to the RU Green Fund as a way of offsetting their carbon emissions.
Sustainable Travel Ideas
Staff and students are encouraged to share transport wherever practicable. Benefits include spending less money on travel, fewer parking hassles, less congestion on the roads, and a much cleaner environment.
Last Modified: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 16:09:32 SAST