Health and Safety Information and Training
The Safety, Health & Environmental Officer provides assistance to Rhodes University departments and divisions in terms of organising health and safety training and materials. The short courses below are arranged by the Safety Health and Environmental Office for RU staff only, not for the general public.*
*Members of the public: please contact NOSA, Affsaff, Intra-Safe, Safetech, SA Labour Guide, etc, or UCT and CPUT , for an accredited safety course; UNISA or VUT for a safety diploma/degree; NWU for post-grad studies in health and safety.
(i) COURSE DATES
|13||Monday||08:30-16:30||First Aid Course (3 or 5 days)|
|14||Tuesday||08:30-16:30||Elementary Fire Fighting Course (1 day)|
|28||Tuesday||08:30-16:30||Health & Safety Representatives Course (1 day)|
|4||Tuesday||08:30-10:30||Basic Ladder Safety Course (2 hrs)|
|25||Thursday||08:30-16:30||Elementary Fire Fighting Course (1 day)|
|30||Tuesday||08:30-10:30||Basic Ladder Safety Course (2 hrs)|
|10||Monday||08:30-16:30||First Aid Course (3 or 5 days)||APPLY BELOW|
|13||Thursday||08:30-16:30||Health & Safety Representatives Course (1 day)||APPLY BELOW|
|15||Tuesday||08:30-16:30||Elementary Fire Fighting Course (1 day)||APPLY BELOW|
|23||Wednesday||08:30-16:30||Health & Safety Representatives Course (1 day)||APPLY BELOW|
|28||Monday||08:30-16:30||First Aid Course (3 or 5 days)||APPLY BELOW|
|12||Tuesday||08:30-10:30||Basic Ladder Safety Course (2 hrs)||APPLY BELOW|
Note: any employee who receives training through his/her workplace is required to provide his/her services in this regard in the workplace.
(Staff may attend ONLY with their line manager's approval AND confirmation from SHE Officer)
Health & Safety Representatives (1 day) Course - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for HnS Rep Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU HnS Rep. [More Info]
Basic Ladder Safety (2hour) Course - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE: Application for Ladder Course RU Staff. [More Info]
First Aid (3 or 5day) Course - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for First Aid Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU First Aider. [More Info]
Fire Safety (1 day) Course - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for Fire Safety Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU Fire Marshal. [More Info]
*Appointment Forms (Designations) MUST be completed where requested, and signed by your 16_2 Appointee - these become valid once the course has been completed. Once everything on the Appointment / Designation Forms is form is signed, please:
- keep the original in your departmental safety file,
- send a copy (scanned by email / or photocopy) to SHE Officer,
- send a copy (scanned by email / or photocopy) to your HR generalist - for your staff file in Human Resources Division.
- Talks and Presentations on Topic* of Choice.
- For Manager/HOD & staff; at staff meetings; at other RU forum.
- From 10 min to 1 hour.
- Time & date by arrangement with department/division/section.
- To arrange, contact SHE Officer on safety(at)ru.ac.za
*Favourite topic options include, but are not limited to:
- Intro to health and safety
- Fire safety and preparedness
- Laboratory safety (general intro)
- Dealing with Hazmat / hazardous waste
- Health and safety and smoking in the workplace
- OHS Act and the responsibilities of management
Safety File: for assistance in setting up a Health & Safety file for your work area.
Safety Resources: A selection of online health and safety resources and links.
Short Courses in Health and Safety: The RU SHE Office does NOT have the capacity to run short courses for the general public. Members of the public should contact:
Academic Studies in Health and Safety : For academic studies at Rhodes University, please direct all enquiries to the Registrar.
- Environmental health is studied in a number of RU academic departments, including Pharmacy, Environmental Science, and Biotechnology Innovation Centre.
- Other universities: UNISA offers a Diploma in Safety Management, VUT offers a BTech in Safety Management, and NWU offers post-grad studies in health and safety.
Go to the Rhodes University Safety front page. Questions/Suggestions? Contact safety(at)ru.ac.za
Searching for additional info? Use the Search function at the top of the page.
Last Modified :Thu, 19 Oct 2017 15:42:08 SAST