Health and Safety Information and Training
The Safety, Health & Environmental Officer provides assistance to Rhodes University departments and divisions in arranging health and safety training and materials. Follow the links:
- In-house Health & Safety Courses & Training?
- Health & Safety Awareness Sessions
- Short Courses in Health and Safety
- Academic Studies in Health and Safety
1. In-house Health & Safety Courses & Training - for RU employees only:
The short courses below are arranged by the Safety Health and Environmental Office for RU staff only, not for the general public.*
*Members of the public: please contact NOSA, Affsaff, Intra-Safe, Safetech, SA Labour Guide, etc, or UCT and CPUT, for an accredited safety course; UNISA or VUT for a safety diploma/degree; NWU for post-grad studies in health and safety
(i) COURSE DATES
Each course is repeated a few times during the year, to accommodate different needs. In summary:
a. Health & Safety Rep Training (duration: 2 mornings) - 3 options:
- 23-24 April or
- 12-15 May or
- 16-17 July
b. Basic Ladder Safety (duration: 2 hours) - 2 options:
- 19 March or
- 23 September
c. Basic Fire Marshal Training (duration: 1 morning) - 3 options:
- 5 March or
- 8 April or
- 5 August
d. First Aid Course (duration: 3/4/5 days) - 3 options: week beginning
- 2 March or
- 6 April or
- 6 July
(ii) INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY (details below)
Note: any employee who receives training through his/her workplace is required to provide his/her services in this regard in the workplace.
(ii) INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY TO ATTEND (RU STAFF ONLY):
(Staff may attend ONLY with their line manager's approval AND confirmation from SHE Officer)
Health & Safety Representative (2 mornings) Training - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for HnS Rep Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU HnS Rep?. [More Info?]
Basic Ladder Safety (2 hours) Training - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE: Application for Ladder Course RU Staff??. [More Info??]
First Aid (3 or 4 or 5 days) Course - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for First Aid Course RU Staff AND ?*Appointment Form RU First Aider??. [More Info??]
Basic Fire Marshal (1 morning) Training - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for Fire Safety Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU Fire Marshal??. [More Info??]
*Appointment Forms (Designations) MUST be completed where requested, and signed by your 16_2 Appointee - these become valid once the course has been completed. Once everything on the Appointment / Designation Forms form is signed, please:
- keep the original in your departmental safety file,
- send a copy (scanned by email / or photocopy) to SHE Officer,
- send a copy (scanned by email / or photocopy) to your HR generalist - for your staff file in Human Resources Division.
2. Health & Safety Awareness Sessions - for RU employees:
- Talks and Presentations on Topic* of Choice.
- For Manager/HOD & staff; at staff meetings; at other RU forum.
- From 10 min to 1 hour.
- Time & date by arrangement with department/division/section.
- To arrange, contact SHE Officer on safety(at)ru.ac.za
*Favourite topic options include, but are not limited to:
- Intro to health and safety
- Fire safety and preparedness
- Laboratory safety (general intro)
- Dealing with Hazmat / hazardous waste
- Health and safety and smoking in the workplace
- OHS Act and the responsibilities of management
Health and Safety Guide???? [covering: i. Introduction, ii. Health & Safety Representatives, iii. Committees, iv. Risks & Hazards, v. & Incidents & Accidents, vi. First Aid, vii. Fire Safety, viii. Promoting Health & Safety, and ix. Info & Resources]
Safety File: for assistance in setting up a Health & Safety file for your work area.
Safety Resources: A selection of online health and safety resources and links.
Videos DVDs: A selection of training videos / DVDs is available for viewing ?
4. Short Courses in Health and Safety
*The RU SHE Office does NOT have the capacity to run short courses for the general public. Members of the public should contact:
NOSA, Affsaff, Intra-Safe, Safetech, SA Labour Guide, etc, for accredited short courses in safety.
UCT and CPUT also offer various short courses in occupational health and safety.
5. Academic Studies in Health and Safety
- Rhodes University academic departments that study environmental health include Pharmacy, Environmental Science, and Biotechnology Innovation Centre.
- UNISA offers a Diploma in Safety Management, VUT offers a BTech in Safety Management, and NWU offers post-grad studies in health and safety.
Go to the Rhodes University Safety front page. Questions/Suggestions? Contact safety(at)ru.ac.za
Searching for additional info? Use the Search function at the top of the page.
Last Modified: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 11:58:44 SAST