Health and Safety Information and Training
The Safety, Health & Environmental Officer provides assistance to Rhodes University departments and divisions in arranging health and safety training and materials. Follow the links:
- In-house Health & Safety Courses & Training
- Health & Safety Awareness Sessions
- Short Courses in Health and Safety
- Academic Studies in Health and Safety
The short courses below are arranged by the Safety Health and Environmental Office for RU staff only, not for the general public.*
*Members of the public: please contact NOSA, Affsaff, Intra-Safe, Safetech, SA Labour Guide, etc, or UCT and CPUT , for an accredited safety course; UNISA or VUT for a safety diploma/degree; NWU for post-grad studies in health and safety
(i) COURSE DATES (tabulated below)
Each course is repeated a few times during the year, to accommodate different needs. In summary:
a. Health & Safety Rep Training (duration: 2 mornings) - 3 options: 18-19 April or 16-17 May or 11-12 July.
b. Basic Ladder Safety (duration: 2 hours) - 2 options: 11 April or 4 September.
c. Basic Fire Marshal Training (duration: 1 morning) - 3 options: 20 March or 30 April or 15 August.
d. First Aid Course (duration: 3/4/5 days) - 3 options: week beginning 26 March or 16 April or 9 July.
(ii) INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY (details below)
|20||Tue||08:30-13:00||Basic Fire Marshal Training (1 morning)|
|26||Monday onwards||08:30-16:30||First Aid Course (DURATION: 3 or 4 days)|
|11||Wednesday||08:30-10:30||Basic Ladder Safety Training (2 hrs)|
|16||Monday onwards||08:30-16:30||First Aid Course (DURATION: 3 or 4 or 5 days)|
|18 + 19||Wed + Thu||08:30-13:00||Health & Safety Representative Training (2 mornings)|
|30||Monday||08:30-13:00||Basic Fire Marshal Training (1 morning)|
|16 + 17||Wed + Thu||08:30-13:00||Health & Safety Representative Training (2 mornings)|
|9||Monday onwards||08:30-16:30||First Aid Course (DURATION: 3 or 4 or 5 days)|
|11 + 12||Wed + Thu||08:30-13:00||Health & Safety Representative Training (2 mornings)|
|15||Wednesday||08:30-13:00||Basic Fire Marshal Training (1 morning)|
|4||Tuesday||08:30-10:30||Basic Ladder Safety Training (2 hrs)|
Note: any employee who receives training through his/her workplace is required to provide his/her services in this regard in the workplace.
(Staff may attend ONLY with their line manager's approval AND confirmation from SHE Officer)
Health & Safety Representative (2 mornings) Training - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for HnS Rep Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU HnS Rep. [More Info]
Basic Ladder Safety (2 hours) Training - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE: Application for Ladder Course RU Staff. [More Info]
First Aid (3 or 4 or 5 days) Course - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for First Aid Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU First Aider. [More Info]
Basic Fire Marshal (1 morning) Training - PLEASE DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE BOTH: Application for Fire Safety Course RU Staff AND *Appointment Form RU Fire Marshal. [More Info]
*Appointment Forms (Designations) MUST be completed where requested, and signed by your 16_2 Appointee - these become valid once the course has been completed. Once everything on the Appointment / Designation Forms is form is signed, please:
- keep the original in your departmental safety file,
- send a copy (scanned by email / or photocopy) to SHE Officer,
- send a copy (scanned by email / or photocopy) to your HR generalist - for your staff file in Human Resources Division.
- Talks and Presentations on Topic* of Choice.
- For Manager/HOD & staff; at staff meetings; at other RU forum.
- From 10 min to 1 hour.
- Time & date by arrangement with department/division/section.
- To arrange, contact SHE Officer on safety(at)ru.ac.za
*Favourite topic options include, but are not limited to:
- Intro to health and safety
- Fire safety and preparedness
- Laboratory safety (general intro)
- Dealing with Hazmat / hazardous waste
- Health and safety and smoking in the workplace
- OHS Act and the responsibilities of management
Safety File: for assistance in setting up a Health & Safety file for your work area.
Safety Resources: A selection of online health and safety resources and links.
*The RU SHE Office does NOT have the capacity to run short courses for the general public. Members of the public should contact:
- Rhodes University academic departments that study environmental health include Pharmacy, Environmental Science, and Biotechnology Innovation Centre.
- UNISA offers a Diploma in Safety Management, VUT offers a BTech in Safety Management, and NWU offers post-grad studies in health and safety.
Go to the Rhodes University Safety front page. Questions/Suggestions? Contact safety(at)ru.ac.za
Searching for additional info? Use the Search function at the top of the page.
Last Modified: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 22:07:17 SAST