The Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA) is celebrating from 19-25 March with the theme Libraries: Heart of the Community.
The theme “Libraries: heart of the Community” re-emphasizes the idea that libraries belong to the community and are central to it.
All libraries, whether it is a School, Public, Academic or Special library, are at the heart of their communities, to offer vital resources to address community needs, and are places where the community gathers.
Libraries have positioned themselves in this space between aspiration and delivery, providing support for education and are the heart of every community… libraries are so much more than books:
- Libraries mirror, reflect and serve communities according to their needs.
- Libraries provide a place to find the resources to learn new skills.
- Libraries provide an opportunity to fight unemployment, illiteracy, digital illiteracy and loneliness.
- Libraries connect people, up-skill them, enable creative learning and build communities.
- Libraries are bridging the disparities within communities.