Rhodes > Emergency Management > Emergency Management > Key Emergency Management Focus Areas (Part One) > Power outages > Information Technology Division
Information Technology Division
Upon receiving notification of a power failure, the IT Division’s responsibilities are as follows
- Activate the Emergency Management and Response Network ) by notifying CPU.
- Assess the impact of the failure on the University’s information telecommunications and Internet facilities.
- Ensure that the external presence (email, website) of the University on the Internet remains functional indefinitely, unless the generators fail.
- Ensure that buildings that have their own standby power can continue to use the network for 2-3 hours.
- Ensure that the campus networkremains functional; this provides for 2-3 hours power backup for the new PBX system in particular areas.
- In the event of an extended power failure and back-up power supply failure, points 4 and 5 no longer apply, in which case all telecommunication services on campus will fail. The crisis website will remain live.
- In the event of an extended power failure and failure of backup generators, point 3 above will no longer apply. The University’s emergency web page (http://crisis.ru.ac.za/) will remain live.
- Maintain contact with the Emergency Control Centre.
Last Modified: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:52:27 SAST