Campus Protection Unit
Upon receiving notification of a violent crime involving a University student or employee, the responsibilities for CPU are as follows:
- CPU shift supervisor should immediately notify the CPU duty officer who should obtain relevant information such as:
- When and where did the incident occur?
- What specifically happened? What is the nature of the injuries?
- Who was involved? What is their student status?
- Are the local media involved and/or on scene?
- Has the next of kin or designated contact persons of the involved student / employee been contacted? If so, who has been contacted?
- Confirm if involved parties are actually University students or employees.
- Are the local police involved?
- Secure the incident area. CPU guard assesses incident. Contact emergency personnel as applicable.
- Coordinate the information disseminated to local law enforcement at the scene (if applicable).
- The Manager of CPU should contact the Emergency Manager and Chair of the Management Team to activate the Emergency Management and Response Network )
- Maintain contact with the Dean of Students (w.r.t. students) or the manager / head of department (w.r.t. employees), and onsite CPU Officers.
Last Modified: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:16:55 SAST