The IT Division is responsible for the University’s information telecommunications and Internet. It has 12 distribution points across campus servicing 7 sectors. The IT Division has the following responsibilities with regard to emergencies which may lead to impacts on the University’s communications channels:
- Maintaining the batteries of ‘campus sector distribution facilities’ UPS equipment – which provide backup power for approximately 2-3 hours.
- Maintain standby generators (linked to AMM and Struben buildings) – which supply redundancy to core facilities, namely, the University website and telephones (in CPU and other key offices).
- Maintain content of the University’s emergency web page (http://crisis.ru.ac.za/).
- Assess nature of emergency and manage standby generator load balancing, refuelling, etc, as required. Note: a full tank of diesel will last for 36 hours; these can be refuelled while in operation.
- Switch across to the University’s emergency web page (http://crisis.ru.ac.za/), based on decision by Director of IT Division.
Last Modified: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:12:46 SAST