The Safety, Health and Environmental Office has the following responsibilities in the event of a fire emergency:
- Liaise with the CPU, Engineering section, Electrical section, and local municipal Fire and Rescue Services with regard to fire safety on campus.
- Assist the Manager of CPU in coordinating fire evacuation drills in large buildings shared by more than one department, division or institute.
- Organise first aid training (with St John Ambulance Centre) and fire fighting training (with Makana Fire and Rescue Services), as required, for university personnel.
- Provide support, as required, to the Emergency Response Group.
- Liaise with the CPU and affected staff regarding details of the incident.
- Ensure that the incident is reported to a Department of Labour inspector within 7 days, in accordance with section 24(1)(b) of the OHS Act.
Last Modified: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:18:55 SAST